4.13.2010

Pull up a rug, kids.

It's time for a short story.

A few months ago, Nate recognized my picture on ldssingles.com (embarrassing, but true) and messaged me about our being in the same ward freshman year at BYU. We chatted online once, and then he came into town on spring break 4 weeks ago. We had dinner with a mutual friend and hit it off well enough for him to come to my house for breakfast before he headed back to Arizona that day. He stayed for 5 hours. :)

We ended up texting and emailing daily, eventually talking on the phone as well. One week after he left we were "exclusively dating" despite the distance. At the end of the next week I met his mom and 4 sisters at conference. At 3 weeks I was packing to go down and see him. While there this weekend, we talked about getting married. This morning we set a temple date, and in the afternoon he asked my dad's permission to marry me.

My dad said yes, so...

You all know me well enough to know that I'm holding back all the details. I will share with you just a couple to tide you over for now.

The night Nate and I first talked about marriage was on Saturday. We packed a cooler with stuff for pb&j sandwiches, some apples, and cookies and brought along Nate's new telescope. We headed an hour away to a small town where stars would be more visable. We pulled off in a little field near a golf course and set up chairs. We ate and talked... the talking eventually leading to -
"Emilie, I think I'm falling in love with you."
"Nate, I think I'm falling in love with you, too."
A few minutes passed as we discussed the magnitude of it all.
"Emilie, I love you."
"Nate, I love you, too."
We talked about loving each other.
"I'm thinking crazy thoughts, Emilie."
"I don't think you could say anything that I would find crazy right now. What are you thinking about, Nate?"
He looked at me quite seriously.
"Marriage."
I smiled.
"I'm thinking the same thing."

This is us looking tired and in love.


In case anyone is wondering if I'm going to change my blog title to "The Dunford Dealings" or "Emilie and Nate's Wonderful Life," rest assured... my title remains. It was in an open field where we first professed our love, and despite there being no moon in sight, there was enough cheese to make our own.

I'm getting married August 7th in the Salt Lake temple to Nathan Keith Dunford. No more crazy roommates. No more cooking for one. No more singles ward. No more wondering. No more dating. No more waiting.

Goodnight room
Goodnight moon
Good night cow jumping over the moon
Goodnight light
And the red balloon
Goodnight bears
Goodnight chairs
Goodnight kittens
And goodnight mittens
Goodnight clocks
And goodnight socks
Goodnight little house
And goodnight mouse
Goodnight comb
And goodnight brush
Goodnight nobody
Goodnight mush
And goodnight to the old lady whispering "hush"
Goodnight stars
Goodnight air
Goodnight noises everywhere

Indeed.

7 comments:

rockchelle said...

!!!!!!!!! So excited for you! Congrats and best wishes!!!

emilie s. d. p. said...

Wow! That is so happy! I want more details (and pictures!).

Mary Ann (Crockett) Ahlstrom said...

SERIOUSLY! FOR REAL FOR REAL.....!? Oh my word I'm FREAKING OUT! PLEASE more details soon. Couldn't be happier that you found someone you love who (I'm assuming) is worthy of you.........you are an amazing person and I can't WAIT to hear more about Nate! Yahoooooooo for you!

Mary Ann (Crockett) Ahlstrom said...

BTW: Aug 7 is Dayton's birthday. Nice pick. Love it!

Brian and Carly said...

I AM FREAKING OUT! I just read a bunch of your posts to my mom and I was almost crying...I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! He must be an amazing guy.

Sondra said...

Oh my I am so so happy for you both! That is amazing, and it sounds like you are both DEFINATELY on the same page, your story was so sweet! Congratulations! And more pictures maybe??

Kayleen said...

Can I really be so lucky? My niece will be getting blessed August 8th, so I will be in town. :) Assuming I'm invited. ;) Can't wait to see you all gorgeoused out and living your fairytale!