An unsupervised five-some of chillens sat three benches in front of us in church on Sunday eating bagels, balancing hymnals on their heads, and singing full-voice while playing hand clapping games. On the bench behind the kids sat a man trying to keep them quiet with drawing games, but that only worked a fourth of the time. On the bench behind him sat an older gent occasionally looking up from his computer to grin at the chaos. Making eye contact with me as I watched the crazy kids, the drawing man, and himself on his computer, he said, "At least they are smiling and at church!" Well he was certainly smiling and at church. At least.
I remember having to stay inside on Sundays when I was little and hearing the other chillens outside skipping rope and playing ball. It felt like torture. Fed up, I ventured outside one day but felt so guilty that all I could do was sit on a wooden railroad tie and watch the kids have their fun in the sun until mom came home and told me to go back inside.
These days I sometimes take a Sunday drive after church so I can get a little peace and quiet on the sabbath. Something about that seems off.
I took my dad to the airport this morning. Drives are good for quiet thinking time, but they are also good for talking. Last night we talked about how the media is taking away from "being together" time. Instead of talking, we watch TV or get on Facebook or read blogs. And while we are doing these things, we lose some ability to just sit and think in silence without feeling anxious.
I hope you aren't reading this and not talking to the person in the room with you... that is, unless you are having quiet time... in which case, I'll shut up and let you think about what I just said.
5.05.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I LOVE this post. I was so relieved at the end when I looked over and Bri was asleep- oh good...this is my quiet time! But seriously, I agree.
Post a Comment